[COC-discuss] Volunteer

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:06:31 PST 2018

I'm also interested in participating in CoC discussions, although I'm
mindful that I won't have time to commit as much as I'd like.

Some points I think we should be mindful of:

* Lets be inspirational instead of dictatorial in our messaging. Let's
adopt positive language instead of negative. "We expect all our
community to act respectfully ..." instead of "We won't tolerate ..."

* Most CoC situations are grey rather than black and white. Usually both
parties feel offended, resulting in "defensive" actions (which in turn
are seen as attacking from the other side).

* Human interactions are very complex. Any rules we develop will be
inadequate to cover all situations. More detailed rules will almost
certainly be more inadequate. Consequently I feel guides are more
effective than rules.

* CoC situations tend to be very personal in nature. We should be
personal, caring, delicate, and tailored in how we resolve issues. A
rule book of processes is not very personal.

* Complicated processes, which don't inspire enough volunteers to
implement them, are not going to be effective in a volunteer community.
To date, our OSGeo community has provided many people with opinions on a
CoC, but few with the time to provide long term, sustained support of
implementing it.

Cheers, Cameron

On 11/12/18 9:13 am, María Arias de Reyna wrote:
> Thank you :)
>
> El lun., 10 dic. 2018 23:12, Vicky Vergara <vicky at georepublic.de
> <mailto:vicky at georepublic.de>> escribió:
>
>     I am volunteering to be part of CoC
>     Regards
>     Vicky
>
>     --
>
>     Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
>     Salzmannstraße 44,
>     81739 München, Germany
>
>     Vicky Vergara
>     Operations Research
>
>     eMail: vicky at georepublic.de  <http://georepublic.de>
>     Web:https://georepublic.info
>
>     Tel: +49 (089) 4161 7698-1
>     Fax: +49 (089) 4161 7698-9
>
>     Commercial register: Amtsgericht München, HRB 181428
>     CEO: Daniel Kastl

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254