[COG] Welcome!

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:11:43 PDT 2018

My intro:

I'm a software engineer at Google on Earth Engine, I'm on the Project
Steering Committee for GDAL (and soon for PROJ), and I'm a
geologist/geophysicst by degrees.  Most of my field experience is with Mars
rovers and on ships doing geophysics, so my orbital remote sensing
experience is best classified as "noob".  I once (back in 2011) tried to
teach a research tools class for new graduate students doing ocean
mapping.  That and my (painful) experience as a graduate student trying to
use data drives a lot of what I do now.

I'm generally looking for ways on how to help the entire community get more
out of data.  I demoed handling ship tracking data in the cloud back in
2013 that was the start of Global Fishing Watch.  I see things like that as
trying to do far more with less budget for infrastructure enabling really
awesome research projects by small teams or single researchers.

I am looking forward to seeing the data and data processing ecosystem
continue to grow and get easier to use.

So far with COG, I've worked through Even's validate script e.g. c5ea8e4f
<https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/c5ea8e4f9e7fdf65174e75e4961ae6965c0cb92f#diff-87c09734d0c3a27bbda28cdb588ae6a7>
and
written validate_cloud_optimized_geotiff_test.py
<https://github.com/schwehr/gdal-autotest2/blob/master/python/apps/validate_cloud_optimized_geotiff_test.py>
.

-kurt

http://schwehr.org