[COG] COG performance best practices?

Chris Holmes cholmes at planet.com
Tue Jun 12 09:26:42 PDT 2018

So one thing that many people new to COG wonder about is how well the
different options perform. The spec leaves quite a bit open - compression,
tile size, exact number of overviews, projection, etc. I know there's a lot
of experience on this list, so I was wondering if people can share what is
working well for them, including advanced optimizations that may be more
specific to individual use cases, like serving web tiles or accessing large
temporal stacks.

My hope is that from sharing these best practices we can start to get
towards an idea of 'profiles' for COG's, or at least a set of solid
recommendations for different use cases.

There's been some nice work done looking in to performance, in the original COG
wiki page
<https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/CloudOptimizedGeoTIFF#Performancetesting>,
and I also just came across this nice report
<https://github.com/opendatacube/benchmark-rio-s3/blob/master/report.md> from
some s3 gdal benchmarking tools
<https://github.com/opendatacube/benchmark-rio-s3> from opendatacube. If
anyone has other good tools or reports please share them here, or just
write up your experiences.

I'm also interested in comparisons to other formats (jp2k / mrf / ecw),
along with tooling for performance testing (which we might gather in a
repo), but I think I'll start another thread on this.