[COG] Fwd: Cloud optimized GeoTIFF configuration specifics [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Kirill Kouzoubov kirill888 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 05:06:58 PDT 2018

Thanks Even,

it's difficult to do async when needing to support so many formats and
corresponding third party libraries :(.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:37 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

One limitation of a single-threaded asynchronous approach in your use case
> is
> that you use DEFLATE, which is CPU hungry. So you are really taking
> advantage
> of multiple vCPUs. Is the "total_cpu :   92.00 sec" really measure CPU
> activity ? If so, normally I'd expect this to be mostly spent in DEFLATE
> decompression (although 92 s to decompresss ~ 500 MB seems too much, so
> there's some non-neglectable CPU activity happening somewhere else)

That's poor reporting on my part, should probably take that `total_cpu`
out, or rename it to something reasonable. What this is just a sum of time
spent waiting for the result across all threads, most of that is blocking
for I/O, only tiny fraction is doing actual work like decompression. The
actual cpu load while running the benchmark is relatively  low, as observed
with `htop` and `time` commands, unfortunately I'm not recording that. I'm
pretty sure that I don't manage to saturate compute and the bottleneck is
I/O. Latency I measure for read is quite similar to just measuring latency
with `wrk` that just grabs data, so while I haven't measured the proportion
of time spent decompressing vs doing IO I am fairly confident that IO
dominates by a large margin.

> > I'd like to be able to
> >
> > 1. Issue multiple open requests from the same thread
>
> In a asynchronous way ? Hard to do

 Yep, it's important to issues several opens at a time, since open is more
than 50% of the total latency when reading just one tile. It kinda makes
sense, 2 requests cost similar, even though second one is much larger in
bytes, first one is on a "cold" object so takes more time than a larger
second request.