[COG] Mixed Raw and Overview data compression ?

Pfister, Marc Marc.Pfister at digitalglobe.com
Tue Sep 18 07:45:49 PDT 2018

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:39:32 -0400 Vincent Sarago <vincent.sarago at gmail.com> wrote:

> JPEG (or WEBP) compression are great for storage saving (and also for small http request)
> but they are `bad` because they are not lossless (WEBP can be set to be lossless but compression
> is then not as great) so my idea is to package both lossless and non-lossless in one COG. e.g
> keeping high resolution data to a ZSTD/DEFLATE compression but the overview in JPEG.

Setting aside the issues of bit depth, can the current tools (namely GDAL) handle mixed compression types?

I've also been pondering how far can you "abuse" the concept of overviews with different compression, bit depth, band combinations, and so on. So I am interested to see how this works out even at a basic level.

- Marc