[Workshops] Re: Workshop software installation details

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue May 24 08:48:22 EDT 2011

Hello Dane!

I'll answer your good questions below inline:

On 11-05-23 5:07 PM, Dane Springmeyer wrote:
> Hi Ben and crew,
>
> Thanks for the email updates on the timeline [1] for when workshop
> deadlines are.
>
> I'm not seeing many detailed instructions in your email or on the wiki
> [2] [3] about how the software will be installed, so I though I would
> shoot a few questions your way. (sorry if I missed this info somewhere
> on the wiki).
>
> I understand you may still be working things out, but here at the
> questions I have that would be helpful for preparing:
>
> 1) When and how will presenters get access to the upload server for
> submitting their software? Last year it was by ssh/sftp and presenters
> were notified privately by email with the user:pass, so will it be
> similar this year? Having this information well ahead of time will help
> prevent upload bandwidth issues at the deadline.

As Ben's recent update email mentioned "We are setting up a location for
your workshop materials to be uploaded (ie an FTP site) and will be
making the details available via the list shortly." ...we are indeed
doing so, and yes the same sftp process will be used (to upload your
materials to a specific folder).  I hope to have this info to you
shortly. (that process has worked great in the past years)

> 2) Last year presenters were able to deliver a single VirtualBox
> harddisk pre-loaded with all the software required (plus instructions to
> enable it). I plan to do this again, if possible (rather than providing
> Windows installers since I imagine the operating system will be
> Windows). So, do you plan to support this option in addition to the
> LiveDVD option? I am a big supporter of the LiveDVD and have
> participated in the project, but for workshops I prefer to use a slimmed
> down, uni-purpose VM that I create myself. So, please let the group know
> what is possible here. If the LiveDVD is the only option other than
> windows installs, then it would be great to know that *now*.

I agree that we should allow VirtualBox installs (with full instructions
for us)....and we'll make sure to discuss this today in our workshop
committee meeting.  Personally I don't see a problem with your plan at all.

Thanks for the feedback.  Talk soon!

-jeff