[Workshops] FOSS4G 2017 Call for Workshop Proposals - OSGeo-Live

Chris Barnett chrissbarnett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:42:54 PST 2017

Hi Cameron,

> I agree that we hopefully should be able to find people to help create workshop material and then help present. We can reach out to our OSGeo-Live community too.

We talked about this at our meeting last night and there was enthusiastic support for the idea. We’re excited to help in whatever way we can with an OSGeo-Live workshop!

> With regards to getting OSGeo-Live working in the cloud, I think that would be an excellent goal to work on. We did actually get OSGeo-Live working on one of the early cloud platforms (called click2try which is now out of business).https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35 <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35>
> Would you like to share your ideas about setting up a remote desktop? How are you proposing to set this up technically? What options do we have to help debug? Is it something we can re-use beyond foss4g?

I’m really just at the phase of ascertaining feasibility. My attempt to import the OSGeo Live VM to AWS failed because the AWS import process didn’t support Lubuntu. I think that I probably can get it to work on other cloud hosts, but I haven’t had a chance to test yet. For remote access to the desktop I’ve been using xrdp and tigervnc. This also looks like an interesting option: http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/ <http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/>, as it allows remote access via the browser.

I think it would be fantastic if a cloud version could be reused beyond FOSS4G. Something like a docker image could be a nice solution, as it would be portable across many cloud providers and could also be installed locally.
> Is your foss4g committee meeting in person or virtual? If virtual, some of the OSGeo-Live team might be able to join. Alternatively, you might wish to join the OSGeo-Live weekly meeting, Monday 2:30pm in Boston:

I’ll try to make the meeting on Monday!

Thanks,
Chris

> On Feb 2, 2017, at 2:25 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris, Regina others,
>
> I agree that we hopefully should be able to find people to help create workshop material and then help present. We can reach out to our OSGeo-Live community too.
>
> With regards to getting OSGeo-Live working in the cloud, I think that would be an excellent goal to work on. We did actually get OSGeo-Live working on one of the early cloud platforms (called click2try which is now out of business). https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35 <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_35>
> Would you like to share your ideas about setting up a remote desktop? How are you proposing to set this up technically? What options do we have to help debug? Is it something we can re-use beyond foss4g?
>
> Is your foss4g committee meeting in person or virtual? If virtual, some of the OSGeo-Live team might be able to join. Alternatively, you might wish to join the OSGeo-Live weekly meeting, Monday 2:30pm in Boston:
>
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Contact_Us <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Contact_Us>
> Warm regards, Cameron
>

> On 3/2/17 2:38 am, Chris Barnett wrote:
>> Hi Cameron,
>>
>> We’ll be sure to discuss this at our workshop committee meeting this evening. My sense is that it is perfectly in line with our vision for workshops and that most likely we can find folks to fill in the very few gaps that Regina (who is on our committee) is not confident about.
>>
>> I’d also like to chat with someone from the OSGeo-Live community about OSGeo-Live resources. OSGeo-Live USB sticks will be available to workshop participants, but we’d also like to make cloud-based instances available via remote desktop. I’ve run into a couple of technical issues with this and think it would be very useful to draw on your collective knowledge and experience. What would be the best/most appropriate way to go about this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>>

>>> On Jan 30, 2017, at 6:51 PM, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us <mailto:lr at pcorp.us>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Cameron,
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to help out with the PostGIS and free data sources, and possibly QGIS and OpenLayers.  Rest of the items I feel less confident training on.
>>>
>>> I do like the idea of a splash workshop like this, especially for would-be trainers who are interested in using the OSGeo-Live as part of their curriculum.
>>>
>>> BTW http://www.bostongis.com/ <http://www.bostongis.com/> site was created by me.  Sadly I've been too busy as of late to keep it as up to date as I'd like.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Regina