Conference Proposal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 6 01:23:49 EST 2006

Percy,

As I believe you know, the OSGeo conference committee is reviewing your
proposal for hosting in Portland as well as a proposal for Victoria.

I have a few questions to help in my evaluation. It would be helpful if
you could subscribe to the dev at conference.osgeo.org mailing list and
cc: your reply to the question to the whole list in case any of the other
committee members are interested in the response.

1) You provided a listing of hotels, but it is hard for me to judge room
    prices without a lot of research.  Basically I would like to know if
    some of these are inexpensive, and if so how many inexpensive rooms are
    likely to be available.  If not, are there hostels, or perhaps unused
    dorm rooms that might be available for lost cost accommodation?

2) How many workshop rooms do you think you can provision with computers?
    Are there computer labs of computers that can be used at the universities,
    or perhaps the computers can be moved over?  Basically, what is your plan
    for provisioning workshops with computers?

3) Does use of the conference center tie you to particular catering
    contracts?  How much is the wireless internet service at the
    conference center. My concern is that some conference centers offer
    reasonable prices for the space, but lock conferences into particular
    deals for extras like wireless or catering that are quite expensive.

4) Do you have a sense of how many local volunteers you are likely to be able
    to recruit for support in workshops, registration desk, and other similar
    tasks?  Perhaps paid students?

Thank you and the proposing team for the excellent proposal.

Best regards,