Bidder participation - was Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Call for Votes for Conference Name

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Wed Nov 8 09:32:10 EST 2006

On Nov 8, 2006, at 09:16, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> I must admit that when I wrote that email I was assuming we would
> only count votes from registered conference committee members
> (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Conference_Committee).  But it
> seems there was confusion, so we will have to count votes from all
> list members.
>
> And then the plan is to take that result and propose it to the
> OSGeo board.
>
> Also, my opinion is that if you are placing a bid you cannot be a
> member of the conference committee for that year.

Putting on a conference is more work than many people think, and it's
not clear to me that it leads to any financial gain on the part of
the organizers, having seen the previous years go by.

Perhaps bidders should not participate in the actual choice of
winning bid, but we would be in a sad situation if all the people who
want to bid can't help with the rest of the work.

	Allan