[OSGeo-Conf] Another Possible Conference Name

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Fri Nov 10 13:25:41 EST 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 13:08, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> venka.osgeo wrote:
>> Vote for FOSS4G 2007
>> FOSGeo (Free and Open Source Geospatial) 2007 would be fine too.
>
> +1 from Arnulf if FOSS4G 2007 is a no-goer
>
>> FreeSpace'07 would be my other choice.
>
> +1 from Arnulf if FOSS4G 2007 or FOSGeo 2007 are no-goers

This reminds me of something I was thinking about earlier this week.

The proponents of naming the conference OSGeo 2007 want to retain the
OSGeo brand

The proponents of naming the conference FOSS4G 2007 want to retain
the "meeting of the tribes of which OSGeo is a tribe" idea.

Given that *any* compromise name would instantly not retain the OSGeo
brand, it seems that the decision may well have to be between OSGeo
2007 and FOSS4G 2007 with no alternatives.

If an alternative were to win out, that would mean that the OSGeo
proponents would have been swayed away from their brand stance, and
since the OSGeo proponents are also decent, honorable, and all-around
good people, they would not want to deprive the FOSS4G proponents out
of simple churlishness.

Thus it seems to me to be almost inevitable that we should use FOSS4G
2007 with a very strong connection to OSGeo. :>

	Allan