[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2007 - whats in a name?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 1 01:40:46 EDT 2006

On 30-Sep-06, at 5:04 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I prefer OSGeo 2007, or OSG 2007.
>
> I find the whole "FOSS4G" thing incredibly unwieldy.

My preference is the same, I like OSGeo 2007, for these reasons:
- It has the "Geo" in it, so it is not only an ambiguous acronym
- This is a new incarnation of the conference, I think a fresh name
would be good without choosing from ones used in the past
- I think it should reflect the foundation closely if we are going to
be the core organisers
- It builds up recognition and value of the foundation, showing we
are interested in non-OSGeo projects as well
- I think OSGeo sounds more professional and is less of a mouthful
- I don't think adding the "F" helps communicate anything more when
the people I talk to rarely understand the difference between FOSS
and OSS anyway
- 'Geospatial' (as in OSGeo) is more generally understood by the
public than 'Geomatics' (as in FOSS4G).  Geomatics tends to be an
industry niche, whereas Geospatial embraces geomatics plus the new
era of web, spatial database, GIS, mapping, 'neo-geographers', etc.

I can keep debating, but think that we will be split on this.
Getting feedback through a poll would be good as long as we can get
broad representation to vote on it.  Any other name suggestions to
vote on?

Tyler