[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2007 - whats in a name?

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Sun Oct 1 12:56:49 EDT 2006

I see a lot of disconnections here by using FOSS4G as our future ongoing
name for the conference. Some examples:

1. We're talking about this on an OSGeo mailing list, with the proposal
process being defined by OSGeo, and supporting funding being provided by
OSGeo -- but it's not an OSGeo event??
2. OSGeo sponsorship includes first rights for sponsorship at the annual
conference -- if it's not an OSGeo conference, that's not something we
can even offer potential sponsors.
3. We're collectively trying to further promote OSGeo as the goto spot
of open source geospatial technologies -- shouldn't our event be the
goto event for same?

For me -- I just see a lot of confusion. If we want OSGeo to be
successful -- why would we not do everything possible to give it it's
best chance of success?? Conference with like-name is a big part of
helping give OSGeo legitimacy to the world.

Admittedly - if our primary concern is today's immediate community, who
already "get it" .. well all of this isn't that important. But Promotion
of open source geospatial technologies is one of the biggest drivers of
OSGeo -- if you want that, then you have to be smart about how you
promote yourself to the world. Having a different name for your
conference than your primary organization doesn't serve that need.

So are we all content just being big fish in a little pond ... or do we
want to try the ocean?

Anyway -- that's by 2 cents on this.

Dave