[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2007 - whats in a name?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sun Oct 1 14:51:00 EDT 2006

What both "FOSS4G" and "OSGeo" have in common is that they are
essentially meaningless, unfortunately. (FOSS4G actually has
marginally more meaning, at least for the minimal subset of people
who already know what "FOSS" stands for and only have to try and
figure out the "G").

At the risk of being totally orthogonal to the current decision
process, how about something completely new, made up of actual words?

* "FreeSpatial 2007"  (11 chars (ignoring the 2007))
* "Spatial Open Source 2007" (19 chars)

In fairness, spooled out to its actual words, OSGeo 2007 is not
completely terrible:

* "Open Source Geospatial 2007" (22 chars)

By the same token, FOSS4G 2007 is a complete train wreck.

* "Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial 2007" (44 chars
(well, at least it doesn't line wrap an 80 column terminal))

Far and away my favorite conference title for existing conference is
Where 2.0.  Short and acronym free.  The "Location Intelligence"
conference is also nice in that regard.

* "Vive Spatial Libre! 2007"  (with apologies to Charles de Gaule)

Paul