[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G 2007

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Oct 27 14:33:06 EDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> I received a brief note from a member, bringing up the issue of domain
> names:
>
>> Just caught the RfP announcement for 07. Caused me to think -
>> shouldn't OSGeo register the domain name foss4g2007.org soon as?
>
> I explained there is still debate about the naming, but thought I'd pass
> this on to you anyway.

I think you'd be better with a single generic domain name (or a
subdomain of osgeo.org) instead or registering new domains for each
year. Even if you manage to register foss4g2007.org in time, and
pre-register the 2008 and 2009 names now as well, someone could go and
register the 2010 or later years before you and you'll eventually be
stuck anyway.

OTOH, with something like <conferencename>.org or
<conferencename>.osgeo.org you can create subdirectories in the website
or subdomains for each year and never worry again about domain name
registration.

My 0.02$

Daniel
--