[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G 2007

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 27 22:46:03 EDT 2006

On 27-Oct-06, at 5:35 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> venka.osgeo wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you please clarify what you are exactly worried about.
>> I think making good use of the FOSS4G brand would
>> not erode OSGeo's brand.
>
> Venka,
>
> I think having two "destinations", one osgeo.org, and one
> foss4g.org, erodes
> our branding influence.

In a similar way, I feel the same way about the conference name, that
any other name distracts from OSGeo.  We have a focus in VisCom on
producing logos, branding, and other nitty gritty stuff to try to
boast OSGeo.  Adding another 'product' name into the mix is going to
make it that much harder.  I'd like to see OSGeo be the organisation
AND the Conference name.  What will the website be?  osgeo.org is as
simple as it gets.

I also believe that the brand of FOSS4G is not as strong as OSGeo.
It has been used as a conference name, but I think the name is not
what made the conference popular.  It is meaningless to those who are
on the outside - those who we want to reach out to.  However, with
OSGeo, it is a name that we are actively promoting all the time.
FOSS4G isn't being promoted at all, except as a conference.  After we
reach out in the name of OSGeo to people - they are able to instantly
make a connection between "OSGeo '07" when they see it because they
already know about the foundation from our marketing efforts.

I also think it is unfair for the other conferences and groups that
we've absorbed to be simply ignored and replaced by FOSS4G.  By
calling it FOSS4G it is saying it is a continuation of a specific
tradition, and in a way we are, but it is only part of the story.
For many people even within our communities, FOSS4G is a relatively
new term.

We are starting something new and we are tapping into OSGeo resources
to help make it a success. I think we owe it to OSGeo to keep this
major outreach event as closely tied to the foundation as possible.

Tyler