[OSGeo-Conf] Committee Meeting to discuss 2008 RFP

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 16 00:57:03 EDT 2007

Jeff McKenna wrote:

>> 8. Publish 2008 draft for editing (jeff to provide draft for this
>> Wednesday)
>
> The 2008 RFP draft is available at: http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp
>
> Please go through it before Thursday's meeting.

Jeff,

A few notes:

  o Do you really have a working osgeo.org email?  Cool

  o Do we really aim to be *the* geospatial conference of the year?

  o "promote open geospatial technologies" should be "promote open source
    geospatial technologies".

  o I think "OSGeo may also be in a position to provide some bridge funding
    and take on liability for conference shortfalls" to "OSGeo will take
    on financial responsibility, including bridge funding and absorbing
    shortfalls".  We don't need to keep people guessing on this point.

  o I think we could change "Respondents are not required to provide
    detailed financial details at this stage, but we need enough
    sense of facility costs to rough out expected attendee costs." to
    something like:

      "Respondents are not required to provide detailed financial
       details at this stage, but we need enough sense of facility,
       and service costs to rough out expected attendee costs.  The
       more financial detail available the better."

  o The budget template download link in the document points to
    test.osgeo.net.

  o I'd suggest changing "OSGeo conference committee members will order
    the proposals from best to worst. No weighting will be assigned to
    the evaluation criteria, so therefore each criteria should be treated
    as equal in value." to something like:

       "OSGeo conference committee members will order the proposals from
        best to worst based on their subjective judgement of the proposal.
        The evaluation criteria have no fixed weighting and are used as
        a general guide."

  o I'm not convinced that the FOSSGIS report is that helpful as guidance
    for future FOSS4G proposals since (in my opinion) it was a rather
    different sort of conference.

Best regards,