[OSGeo-Conf] Committee Meeting to discuss 2008 RFP

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 16 12:26:08 EDT 2007

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> Frank asked:
>>  o Do we really aim to be *the* geospatial conference of the year?
>
> Sure -- aim high, why not.  It should be "the" event of the year within
> our target demographic and content scope.

Michael,

I've been taught to aim low to avoid disappointment. :-)

Seriously, we clearly want to be the leading event for our target market.
But I don't feel that we need to be the biggest, or the most highly publicised
geospatial event of the year.

If I wanted it to be *the* geospatial event of the year, I'd no doubt want
to broaden it's appeal a great deal, mount a huge marketting campaign and
so forth.  But I'd be happy for it to clearly be the leading event around
FOSS geospatial software.

Anyways, I don't mean to quibble, nor am I asking that the statement be
removed.

Best regards,