[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Board] FOSS4G Pricing / Location

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 16 15:17:10 EDT 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> We delegated the question of FOSS4G as a revenue generator to the AGM
> and got ... what? out of that?
>
> The '09 RFP will be coming out soon, and if we don't provide direction,
> the status quo will prevail, which puts us locked into a particular
> scheme for two years.

Paul,

I didn't get a sense of a clear position at the AGM though perhaps that has
been colored by my own preferences and preconceptions.  Did others get
a clear sense of the memberships position on this?

Given the majority position at the board meeting that FOSS4G should be
treated as a money maker, with a non-trivial portion disagreeing, I would
like to see a compromise position taken by the board for 2009.  Something
along the lines of "the conference should be conservatively budgeted to
return a profit of 30000 USD to the foundation, with a higher profit if
sponsorship and attendance goes well".

I have cc:ed the conference committee to keep them aware of this issue.

I have also added this to the agenda for the Nov. 2nd board meeting.

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Thirtieth_Board_Meeting#Agenda

Best regards,