[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Board] FOSS4G Pricing / Location

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Oct 16 16:29:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, October 16, 2007 20:25, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> FOSS4G 2007 will return about 10% on revenues. If we specified a
> budgeted return of 5% of revenue, that would be a start.

Good idea, if that is a motion we should leave discussion to the
Conference Committee. I would second it.

And I like Tyler's proposal: "Change to "plan for a moderate positive
return of $X while keeping ticket prices around $Y".  Then this puts
the challenge back to the bidders to be creative in finding ways to
be profitable.  I actually have a hunch that bidders would appreciate
the guidance."

For spatial guidance we could say:
$X 50k inside EU and NA (the developing world)
$X 10k in the rest of the world :-)

$Y 500 for the EU and NA
$Y 100k for the rest of the world

If bidders are creative they will come up with something really cool, a
nice beach or some fat sponsor.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> On 16-Oct-07, at 12:17 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>

>> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>>
>>> We delegated the question of FOSS4G as a revenue generator to the
>>> AGM and got ... what? out of that?
>>> The '09 RFP will be coming out soon, and if we don't provide
>>> direction, the status quo will prevail, which puts us locked into a
>>> particular scheme for two years.
>>
>> Paul,
>>

>> I didn't get a sense of a clear position at the AGM though perhaps
>> that has been colored by my own preferences and preconceptions.  Did
>> others get a clear sense of the memberships position on this?
>>
>> Given the majority position at the board meeting that FOSS4G should be
>> treated as a money maker, with a non-trivial portion disagreeing, I would
>>  like to see a compromise position taken by the board for 2009.
>> Something
>> along the lines of "the conference should be conservatively budgeted to
>> return a profit of 30000 USD to the foundation, with a higher profit if
>> sponsorship and attendance goes well".
>>
>> I have cc:ed the conference committee to keep them aware of this
>> issue.
>>
>> I have also added this to the agenda for the Nov. 2nd board meeting.
>>

>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Thirtieth_Board_Meeting#Agenda
>>

>> Best regards,
>> --
>> I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
>> warmerdam at pobox.com light and sound - activate the windows |
>> http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
>> and watch the world go round - Rush    | President OSGeo, http://
>> osgeo.org