[OSGeo-Conf] 2010 Bid Questions

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Tue Dec 9 11:52:30 EST 2008

Hi all,
thanks for your time, suggestions and questions.

I have a couple of doubt on the "Local capabilities" section that would
like to share with you to better answer your questions.

1) Propose more local committee members in order to improve representation.

I've been chatting with a couple of friends that organize events (since
long) and they stated that putting more than 3-4 persons in a LOC makes
no sense. The LOC should have representatives for most of the community
that should be interested in the event. This persons should have an
active role, managing their part of the community, and not just have
their name on the list.
If we need to add people to the LOC we have a large list of possible
candidates bud would make poor sense to us. Taking decision quickly en
efficiently in more than 5 could result in a mess (everybody knows this).
I would prefer to justify the choice of the members of the LOC targeting
most of the tribes:
- me -> OSGeo locally and internationally
- Jordi -> the local institutions and companies (even internationally)
- Irene and Lluis -> GIS meetings in general and in FOSS
- Carol -> Universities in Barcelona and humanitarian institutions

if needed we will provide a wider explanation about how me, my buddies
and the Spanish Chapter are deeply related with most of the actors
interested in FOSS4G.

2) Specify which local committee members exist on site (in Barcelona)

All of them.
I was really surprised to see that other proposal will suggest people
not living in the event town.
- me, Jordi and Carol are all living in Barcelona
- Irene and Lluis, grown in Barcelona, are living in Girona that is 1
hour by train from Barcelona and in the same region. They are strictly
related with institutions and companies in Barcelona.

looking forward to give you detailed answers to all your questions

best regards
Lorenzo Becchi