[OSGeo-Conf] Who's Got Next?

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 23:39:02 EST 2008

My two-cents...
Maybe it would be worth encouraging the development of regional events and
then just have the international FOSS4G rotate through. This provides for
two things:

1. The regional LOCs don't feel like they wasted their time if the effort
was towards a known conference. So, instead of creating an entire, big
conference, we just get asked to increase the size of what we are already
doing.

2. Groups in the further reaches actually get to develop regional support
for FOSS4G. Folks who cannot travel are able to participate, rather than
just the fortunate few globetrotters who can make it to the big
international event.

What I saw of the Beijing proposal almost had more of a regional character.
And I'm sure China has both a strong FOSS community and a large number of
people who are not allowed to travel abroad. The same could be said for
South America. There is some fantastic support for FOSS but they weren't
even represented with a bid (or even mentioned in Paul's discussion).

I'm very interested in a US regional FOSS4G conference. If we have to wait
for 2011 (at the soonest) for a US FOSS4G, it'll be at the end of Obama's
first term. I think it's important to establish that there are FOSS
alternatives to ESRI when it comes to meeting the new President's goals for
sharing government information.

That's my 2cents..

-Eric
Eric B. Wolf                          720-209-6818
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography