[OSGeo-Conf] Fw: [Board] wondering about short interest in proposals this year

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 28 19:30:51 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 13:39 -0800, jo at frot.org wrote:
> dear conference list,
>
> I had a quick skim through the list archive to find out how the
> conference venue was selected for 2009. I was surprised to see
> only one proposal to host the main OSGeo conference in 2009.
>
> To be honest that concerns me a bit, as there were four proposals for
> the 2008 one. Is the bar raised too high by Victoria's amazing
> performance? Are local user groups struggling to get it together?
> Was there much followup/nudging of groups who've submitted proposals
> in the past which have not made it over the bar?

Perhaps part of the problem is that Aust-NZ was quite vocal in our
intention to put in a first class bid.  We put in an expression of
interest for '09 during the '08 bidding process.  To be honest, I think
it takes that long for a local chapter to get organised and on top of
everything that needs to be done.  I'd like to see intending bidders put
in a "draft" bid in the year prior to year they want the conf.  That way
they know they will be organised in time and get a chance to see how
their bid is likely to stack up.

As far as lifting the bar too high, I don't think that's a problem.
With a conf the size we have, and growing in reputation, we would do
ourselves a disservice if we didn't try and improve every year.  Aust-NZ
would like to lift the bar again if we can.

> I would appreciate it if anyone here could fill me in with their
> insight on this. I'm not criticising the Sydney proposal, from what
> little i saw it looks solid and there is some real dynamism behind it.
> However the board is being asked to "Approve Sydney's selection" this
> week, this seems like rubberstamping to me but is a big committment.
> I feel i need to know more about the organising and decision process
> before offering a +1 and i can't find anything on the wiki.
>
> cheers,
>

> jo

Regards,
Tim Bowden