[OSGeo-Conf] Re: 'OSGeo Teach-in

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 20 12:26:20 EDT 2008

Dave Patton wrote:

> It looked to me like there were two possibilities:
> 1)
> A "third-party event", that somehow utilizes the 'OSGeo brand'.
> 2)
> An "OSGeo-branded event", run by a third party.

Dave,

I seem to be missing the distinction between the two cases above.

Note, I am talking about an event essentially run by a third party
but using the OSGeo brand, and OSGeo making some effort to promote it.

This is as opposed to something like FOSS4G where it is directly
administered by OSGeo (via a LOC) but utilizing a third party company
to do lots of the organization work.  An OSGeo operated event (such as
FOSS4G) is one where we (as OSGeo) can meddle to our hearts content in
how it is run.  A third party event (such as the proposed OSGeo Teach-In)
would normally be hands off as long as it is operated within the parameters
originally set out in the proposal and agreed to by OSGeo.

Best regards,