[OSGeo-Conf] RE: FOSS4G Sydney and conference software

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 20 20:40:30 EDT 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> I suspect that conference software has become a commodity item and that
> there is little to be gained by using the same software every year.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> So at the moment, my gut feeling is keep risk and hence costs down by
> using Tour Hosts' existing processes and infrastructure. I love using
> Open Source more than most and would like to be convinced otherwise but
> sometimes we also need to be pragmatic.

/me sighs.

I'm not willing to put myself on the line to support conference management
software, so I'm in no position to make demands.  I'm stretched pretty thin
as it is.  But this position is undermining my idea that OSGeo can play a
role in maintaining continuity and progress in FOSS4G administration from
year to year.  It also *feels* like a kick in the teeth to my open source
sensibilities even though I count myself quite a pragmatic guy.

Anyways, the LOC is where the rubber hits the road, and I won't
try and interfere unless we reach a point where the year-to-year
conference committee is willing to assume responsibility for conference
software, and management of papers and workshops.

Best regards,