[OSGeo-Conf] Two parallel conferences proposal: OSGeo-tech and OSGeo-Biz

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Oct 2 11:44:13 EDT 2008

I don't really agree, though I hope we have a proper attendee survey
this year so we can bear out my general feeling (if not, 2009, I *beg*
of you, a survey that asks job titles, number of reports, budgetary
responsibility, etc, if you like, I'll even write one with cheeky good
humor to make the medicine go down easy).

The idea that there is a market for an "OSGeo-Biz" separate from the
technical conference I find hard to entertain. Certainly, the *look*
of FOSS4G attendees indicates we skew heavily technical, even if many
of the technical people are new to FOSS and are there to learn. For
those of you present in 2007, remember the show of hands for Damian's
"who where is a geek?" question.

The energy that makes FOSS4G to appealing to folks (and it is
universally mentioned by folks I talk to who have been to other
industry conferences) derives heavily from the geek presence.

I think our presentation *tracks* could be better marked, probably
2008 did better than we did (?) at separating business from technical
content, so people get what they want when they go to a presentation.

But I don't see the demand for a "no technical stuff please, we're all
just managers" conference, I really don't.

P.