[OSGeo-Conf] Two parallel conferences proposal: OSGeo-tech and OSGeo-Biz

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Oct 3 02:10:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
> The energy that makes FOSS4G to appealing to folks (and it is
> universally mentioned by folks I talk to who have been to other
> industry conferences) derives heavily from the geek presence.

Sure, exactly. But we aren't supporting them sufficiently.
E.g., most members of the GRASS dev team are not here,
several can just not finance it. Likewise for other projects.

Additionally, a dedicated corner (a big one!) where folks can
continuously code over the conference isn't really evident. It could
even be in the (then) big OSGeo booth with sofas and such which
should be a good place - but it is not (yet). Think continuous
codesprint!

If we go too far away from our geeks we just get disconnected.
OSGeo is *community* (including those who don't have much money),
let's not leave them behind.

Markus