[OSGeo-Conf] Two parallel conferences proposal: OSGeo-tech and OSGeo-Biz

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 5 16:35:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> Additionally, a dedicated corner (a big one!) where folks can
>> continuously code over the conference isn't really evident. It could
>> even be in the (then) big OSGeo booth with sofas and such which
>> should be a good place - but it is not (yet). Think continuous
>> codesprint!
>
> You really think people are going to come to a conference and then
> spend the whole time code sprinting? I can do that at my desk, right
> here.

Not always. If you want to discuss specifications and live in
different time zones, physical meetings are quite important.
Why does OGC meet?
I didn't say that they/we spend the whole time code sprinting, but
we need a place to do it during the conference (due to the shift to
Saturday I could not even participate in the last week's one).

For me code sprinting includes discussions on how to implement
things, not only the actual typing of code. Maybe I was unclear here.

> That said, if you think it's a big deal *talk to the organizing
> committee for the next conference*. If you think it's a *really* big
> deal, *organize a conference just the way you like it* to show
> everyone how good it can be.

I can't follow you here.
If that matters: I already discussed a couple of things with Tim.

>> If we go too far away from our geeks we just get disconnected.
>> OSGeo is *community* (including those who don't have much money),
>> let's not leave them behind.
>
> What are the action items here, please, and who is going to act on them?

Action item:
- consider to provide a place with enough plugs to get laptops connected

Who is going to act on them
- hopefully the next conference organizator. The overhead is low, just a
  set of cables and a couple of chairs/whatever

Not sure why you react so aggressive here. It's my personal suggestion
based on discussions with *several* people (> 10). I am bringing up
here also *their* concern, not only mine. I'll urge them to post the same again
on this list (ah, they won't be subscribed to this list...).

cheers
Markus