[OSGeo-Conf] Speaker Discounts

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Fri Oct 10 15:51:34 EDT 2008

>From the point of view of someone who's been signing large travel
reimbursements this morning, we very much appreciated that the 2008 folks
gave free registrations in connection with giving a lab and workshop, and
also for the sponsorship/exhibitorship.  I've personally never been to a
conference where the regular presenters got free registrations but it was
very nice to have the complimentary registrations for the workshop and lab
organizers. - Dan

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au>wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 11:20 -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> > The subject is a bit misleading, since Anselm weaves a larger critique
> > of the open source geospatial community in general after his specific
> > critique of the FOSS4G pricing.
> >
> > http://lists.burri.to/pipermail/geowanking/2008-October/005650.html
> >
> > However, I have heard this criticism before, in 2007, although usually
> > from alumni of O'Reilly conferences. See my followup. If we were
> > willing to up the general fee structure slightly and knew we were
> > going to have something like 700 attendees on 120 speakers, we could
> > at least provide a discounted admission to speakers.
> >
> > If we wanted to, that is. Do we want to?
> >
> > Paul
>
> At the risk of being way too blunt, the pricing issue for presenters can
> go to hell as far as I'm concerned.  FOSS4G is the gathering of the
> tribes.  If you don't have the passion to be a part of the community and
> share what you're doing, forget it.  If you need to be paid to present,
> don't bother.  Do it with a passion for your chosen profession or not at
> all.
>
> Regards,
> Tim Bowden
>
> --
> Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
> when you make it again.

Daniel P. Ames PhD, PE
Department of Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls