[OSGeo-Conf] Speaker Discounts

Daniel Ames amesdani at isu.edu
Mon Oct 20 12:44:04 EDT 2008

Venka's approach is very similar to what goes on in some other organizations
such as ASCE and AWRA where you have to supply an abstract submission fee
(~$20), and then you sign and fax in a form that says that you (or a
replacement) commit to present. Both of these have the effect of ensuring
that the presenters show up (most of the time). - Dan

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>wrote:

> Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:
>
>> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>>
>>> On 10-Oct-08, at 12:51 PM, Daniel Ames wrote:
>>>
>>>  I've personally never been to a conference where the regular presenters
>>>>

>>> It's interesting to compare with this AAG event, where you have to be
>>> registered before you can even submit an abstract.
>>>
>>> http://www.aag.org/annualmeetings/2009/index.htm
>>>

>> Hi,
>> Tim is right and I like the idea that people who give away their crown
>> jewels know-how are not on top of it punished by having to pay for it.
>> On the other hand missing presenters in Cape Town was number one complaint
>> by far. So we will have to do something about it - if the respective LOCs
>> have good suggestions - I am all open for ideas. If not it might well be
>> necessary to have people sign in before they can even submit. I think that
>> we are comfortable enough with current numbers of submitted proposals to
>> raise the bar a bit.
>>

> Folks,
>
> With regard to missing presenters, I think the key is to "close the circle"
> and confirm that presenters are registered to attend, and confirmed with
> a follow up email.  This should be done before finalizing the program
> and printing it.
>
> I know that at least some presenters had made some effort to notify the
> conference they would not be attending and presenting and that others had
> never registered and perhaps assumed their presentations would be removed
> from the roster.
>
> I do not think it is critical to require paid registration before we
> do a preliminary acceptance of presentations.
>
> Best regards,

Daniel P. Ames PhD, PE
Department of Geosciences
Idaho State University - Idaho Falls