[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Foss4g2009] Setting schedule in stone for labs/workshops/tutorials for Foss4g2009 - please vote

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 28 00:32:07 EDT 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> 3. To replace the labs, we will introduce "tutorials" and or "bring your
> own laptop labs". Details can be worked out by the conference committee
> later, but from the our venue organising point of view, all will will
> provide is a room and laptop for the presenter.
>
> Could the FOSS4G committee and conference committee members please vote,
> or voice your reasons for alternatives.

Cameron,

I'm not clear on how bring-your-own-PC is better than utilizing the
machines already rented for the one day of workshops.  Does it cost
significantly more to keep the machines for several days rather than
one day?  If we are passing out live-CD's for bring your own laptop
sessions, is that really less problematic than using the same live-CD's
on a consistent set of desktop computers from the workshops?

I believe part of the rationale for the labs was to get more utilization
out of the already rented and setup workshop PCs.

Perhaps we could have 1.5 days of workshops with the opening plenary in
the afternoon of the second day?

Anyways, I guess my main point is that I don't see the bring-your-own-laptop
plan providing value over using the pre-existing PCs for the same sort of
session.

Best regards,