[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2010 and beyond - border security issues

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Sep 23 12:45:22 EDT 2008

As the article states, there is not exactly an epidemic of laptop
seizures at the US border. I think any US site carries both drawbacks,
in terms of tighter VISA requirements and the joys of crossing the US
border, and benefits, in terms of much higher potential
state-and-local US participation in an event that does not require
"international travel" approval for employees, which sometimes has to
be signed off by quite high elected officials.

I think, in summary, "no", there are enough things for submitters to
think about without having to also research their border crossing laws
in depth. Most sites in the world will be "good enough", and hopefully
the extent to which they are potentially not good enough can be
discussed during evaluation. (The Pyonyang bid could receive a rough
ride.)

P.