[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2010 and beyond - border security issues

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 14:39:57 EDT 2008

Folks,

On the original question, I think that the conference committee
should consider travel barriers when considering a location.

Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
> I my opinion, we should discuss if there is any goal/strategy related
> with the OSGeo mission, that influences the places for this major event
> (FOSS4G).
>
> For example, GSDI prefers countries in the development world, to promote
> the development of the SDI in that country. It's a major occasion to
> bring top level researchers to the country. It's always easier for
> someone from the US/Canada/Europe to travel aboard that the opposite.
>
> OSGeo might prefer other countries than US/Canada/Europe to promote the
> use of FOSS4G tools out there. Gavin Fleming send us an email today
> stating that half of the 550 participants for the Cape Town event are
> from the South Africa Rep.
>
> But if there is a 'preference' that is related with the mission of
> OSGeo, that should be made explicit in the 2010 RFP process.

Discussions on this point have supported moving the conference around
to different parts of the world as long as it does not seriously
compromise other goals of the conference.  This moving around is part
of our being a global foundation, it serves to give different parts of
our global community a chance to get involved, and it helps seeds
FOSS4G in different areas.

I'm not concerned about laptop seizures at the US border, but we do
need to have some sense of how hard it will be for folks from different
parts of the world to get into the US if the conference is held there.

Best regards,