[OSGeo-Conf] Re:FOSS4G Conference Presentations and an academictrack

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Thu May 21 20:27:16 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Thanks Paul. I'm interested to go forward [at full speed, since we don't
have much time]. More people is necessary, so Thierry's offer is very
welcome.

I think the next steps should be:

0) Write down the call for [scientific/research] papers, for the
academic track (we can start with last year call)

1) Update FOSS4G 2009 web site, to announce the peer reviewed academic
track, pointing to call for papers
	- Deadline for this track should be around July 31th;
	- Specific submission guidelines should be added to this track
	- The conference scheduled should be updated to have 3 or 4 sessions
with academic presentations (taking about 12 to 16 slots of the 94
available ones)

1.1) Cameron could prepare a press release to announce the call, and to
get it posted to every mailing list

2) Create a representative scientific committee (this can start right
now; some other members can be added later), by:
	- Inviting the members that previously act as scientific
committee/reviewers
	- Inviting people from the Spanish chapter, that can do this job next
year (maybe Lluís Vicens, from SITGA, Miguel R. Luaces, from Coruña
Univ., Victor Olaya, from Extremadura Univ.)
	- Inviting Charlie Schweik, and someone else from the OSGeo-Edu
	- Inviting people from Australia
	- Inviting other known OSGeo chapter members, related to academic
duties and research
	- Have some places for volunteers
With 20 members on the scientific committee, if each can read 10 papers,
we can have 200 readings. So, if each paper is read by 3 reviewers, we
can receive 60-70 papers for reviewing.

3) Making all possible contacts with reputed journals/books, to start a
reference publication related to OSGeo/FOSS4G. Thierry suggestion make
sense; we can work with other institutions like ICA and alike to have
the best possible printed publication, if we don't have enough high
quality papers to create our own volume.

4) Install and configure an open source platform to handle the blind
reviewing process (that's easy; OpenConf can be used for the job). The
reviewing process will take place in August.

Right now, we need some feedback from Cameron and others to know the
impact of this academic track in the current schedule. Is the July 31th
deadline ok? 12 to 16 papers is reasonable?

Regards,

Jorge
--
jorge gustavo rocha