[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Process

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Oct 30 17:11:01 EDT 2009

Venka,

While I agree that I need a far less dismissive signifier than
"Other", I feel that a five-step rotation
Africa/Asia-Pacific/Europe/North America/South Americas puts far too
much space between the NA/Europe gatherings. The plain fact is that
the participation in the development communities is overwhelmingly
Europe/NA.

In addition, our attendance has been far better in EUR/NA. If
Barcelona makes 1000 attendees, which seems highly likely, the
combined Europe/NA attendance (1700) will almost double the combined
Asia/Africa attendance (1000) over this cycle.

Finally, in financial terms, the situation is even more unbalanced --
the combined $50K net of Asia/Africa is far less than the $120K net
from Victoria alone.

Anyhow, that is my personal opinion, but at the risk of having my ox
gored let me put another option on the table regards rotation and take
the temperature of the room:

Option 1: Europe/NA/Elsewhere
Option 2: Europe/Elsewhere/NA/Elsewhere

Yours,