[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Next Step: Question period and voting

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 17:46:01 EDT 2010

Kevin,

As the proposed chair of the Denver LOC bidding to host FOSS4G 2011, I would
like to thank you and ConferenceDirect for your offer to assist us. However,
we are already partnered with GITA (the Geospatial Information & Technology
Association) as our professional conference organizers.

GITA provides some significant advantages to our bid over working with
ConferenceDirect. GITA is an international professional association for
geospatial professionals that has been around for over 25 years. GITA is
able to provide the Denver LOC with access to their members to market FOSS4G
2011. While GITA's members are not typically focused on free and open source
geospatial solutions, they do represent a great potential area to expand the
use and support of free and open source software. GITA has been expanding
their conference-organizing activities beyond their own branded-conferences
(like the 2010 Geospatial Infrastructure Solutions Conference being held
right now in Phoenix, AZ http://gita.org/gis/) to providing organizing
services to other geospatially-oriented conferences (like the GeoWeb 2010
conference held in Vancouver, BC http://geowebconference.org/). Finally, the
GITA headquarters happen to be here in Denver, Colorado, and have extensive
experience dealing with local conference venues.

Thank you again for your offer. And thank you for addressing some of Venka
Raghavan's questions. Your response was very similar to how the Denver LOC
is planning to respond. We are hoping to provide information we have gleaned
talking to local non-commercial venues to better allay concerns about
working with a  commercial venue.

Sincerely on behalf of the Denver LOC,

Eric B. Wolf

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography