[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 RFP Process has begun

Thierry Badard Thierry.Badard at scg.ulaval.ca
Mon Feb 1 14:26:13 EST 2010

Jeff McKenna a écrit :
> Hello fellow OSGeo Conference Committee members,
>
> With Paul Ramsey's help, we have summarized the plan for the FOSS4G 2011
> request for hosting at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2011_Bid_Process
>
> I encourage all members to review the process, so we can make any
> required adjustments now.  At the bottom of the page you will see a
> summary of important dates, and a link to the current RFP draft.  I have
> also contacted the 2009 and 2008 LOCs to fill in a short financial
> report, to be added into the appendix.
>
> Summary of Important Dates
> ==========================
>
> Release RFP:                        2010-02-05
> Letters of Intent (Stage 1) due:    2010-03-31
> Stage 1 question period:            2010-03-31 to 2010-04-16
> Stage 1 decision:                   2010-04-23
> Proposals (Stage 2) due:            2010-05-21
> Stage 2 question period:            2010-05-21 to 2010-05-28
> Final decision:                     2010-06-11
>

> Thanks everyone.
>
> -jeff

Hi Jeff,

The RFP looks good to me. I wonder if some important items should not be
explicitely mentioned in the content specification for the letter of
intent ... For instance, I would be more confortable in the assessment
process if the letters provide clear indications about:

1) The planned conference venue and its type (university, congress
center, etc.) and not only the city. What are its main caracteristics
(access to wifi, availibility of rooms with different sizes, ...)? I do
not want here full details but just some basic but important indicators
that demonstrate the venue is appropriate or not.
2) What is the maximum size your venue could entertain? The minimum?
3) What accommodations are available? Where are they relative to the
venue? What is the
mean pricing?
4) With which local organizations (in addition to the member of the LOC)
do you plan to make some contacts/links in order to make this edition a
success

I think it is possible to include these points in the letter without
adding extra pages to the 2 maximum pages requested and without
requesting a lot of additional work to the LOC.

Just another detail ... It would be good to mention that deadlines are
given in UTC, e.g. submission for LoI is March 31, 2010 midnight UTC and
not just March 31, 2010.

My 2 cents.

Th.

--
Prof. Thierry Badard, Ph.D.

Professeur au Département des sciences géomatiques
(http://www.scg.ulaval.ca)
Chercheur régulier au Centre de Recherche en Géomatique
(http://www.crg.ulaval.ca)
Chercheur régulier du Réseau de Centres d'Excellence GEOIDE
(http://www.geoide.ulaval.ca)
Chercheur collaborateur de la chaire de recherche
industrielle en base de données géospatiales décisionnelles
(http://mdspatialdb.chair.scg.ulaval.ca)
Responsable du projet de formation sur les normes
internationales en géomatique
(http://standards.scg.ulaval.ca)
Administrateur des projets open source :
   GeoKettle (http://www.geokettle.org)
   GeoMondrian (http://www.geo-mondrian.org)
   SOLAPLayers (http://www.solaplayers.org)
   GeOxygene (http://oxygene-project.sourceforge.net)
Membre votant de la fondation OSGeo
(http://www.osgeo.org)

Département des sciences géomatiques
Faculté de foresterie, de géographie et de géomatique
Pavillon Louis-Jacques Casault
1055, avenue du Séminaire
Local 1343
Université Laval
Québec (Québec) G1V 0A6
Canada

Tél.: +1.418.656-7116 - Fax: +1.418.656-7411
Courriel : Thierry.Badard at scg.ulaval.ca
Web: http://geosoa.scg.ulaval.ca

*AVERTISSEMENT*

Avis relatif à la confidentialité