[OSGeo-Conf] Questions in preparing 2011 budget

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 12:49:11 EDT 2010

I'm working with Henry Rosales at GITA to create the initial proposed budget
for FOSS4G 2011. I'm trying to get the registration fee down from $595 to
$395 for early registration. To do this, I've trimmed a lot of the initially
proposed catering and am looking for other big expense cuts that can be
made. The other side of the equation is revenue. I would greatly appreciate
comments and prior budget and attendance figures for:

1. Workshops - we are exploring an "ala carte" workshop menu where different
workshops have different costs (based, typically, on whether equipment needs
to be rented). What has workshop revenue (not expenses) been like in the
past?

2. Gala Dinner - should this be included in the registration? I am
considering a closing plenary with lunch on the final day that would be
included in the registration. The cost for the lunch would be $55/head
whereas the Gala Dinner is estimated at $79/head. My thought was to make the
less-expensive lunch a less-formal wrap up meeting and the Gala dinner a
more formal, extra cost item.

3. What are thoughts on 1-day pass registrations? There are an astounding
number of GIS professionals in Denver and the Front Range. A large number of
them may not be interested in investing in the entire conference (either
time or cost) but would love to pay, say $150, to attend one day of the
conference. This is harder to budget for, but I think it could boost the
revenues of the conference.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography