[OSGeo-Conf] Do we want to cap size?

Gavin Fleming gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 04:10:53 EDT 2010

in 2008 we chose the big expensive slick venue. It was nice and we still
made a moderate profit but we came only half-way to filling it, so it was a
disproportionate expense.

I think locations with high population density that are also hives of FOSS
GIS activity i.e. Europe and North America, maybe some Asian locations,
should go big, with very little risk.

Big expensive venues are still a risk for the remote, alternative venues -
Africa, Aus, S. Am.

On 3 June 2010 01:54, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> wrote:

> We do, and 1200 is a perfectly reasonably maximum, it would still be
> almost 2x the size of the previous North America event, and a grand
> success if we manage it.

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Eric Wolf <ebwolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The folks at GITA pointed out that the larger venues cost more per
> person.
> > What this means is if we need capacity for 2000 people, we basically have
> > just two choices of venues in Denver that are both more expensive than if
> we
> > cap attendance and use a smaller venue.
> > Do we want to consider capping the number of attendees for FOSS4G 2011?
> This
> > can potentially save a great deal of money if attendance isn't at the
> > projected levels. If we cap attendance at 1200 people, it opens up three
> > more potential venues.
> > Unfortunately, this is a decision that needs to be made before FOSS4G
> 2010
> > in Barcelona.
> > -Eric
> > -=--=---=----=----=---=--=-=--=---=----=---=--=-=-
> > Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
> > USGS Geographer
> > Center of Excellence in GIScience
> > PhD Student
> > CU-Boulder - Geography