[OSGeo-Conf] Regarding local/mini conferences

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 29 18:13:33 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-29, at 1:17 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Dan,
> It is topical to start asking these questions, because I don't think they have been addressed properly before.
>
> At the moment, FOSS4G has built itself a brand name which effectively means "the annual international GeoSpatial Open Source conference".
>
> I think if we start using the FOSS4G name for other conferences, then we will confuse potential delegates and water down the brand name of the current FOSS4G conference.
>
> We don't want to introduce confusion between the annual and local conferences.

Just don't forget, the term FOSS4G is already being used for other events elsewhere, usually run by local chapters, for example - Japan which was one of the originators of an event with this name and still runs it.

I think the issue may more be around what can be done if a group of OSGeo friends or chapters wants to co-brand with OSGeo/FOSS4G.  It's easy with OSGeo local chapters - they can do what they want and call it "OSGeo X Event", like the OSGeo-Quebec group did earlier this year.  It's clear it's a local chapter run event, so no big deal.

What we don't have are clear policies for are other ad-hoc groups that want to run something and co-brand it with OSGeo and/or FOSS4G.

I'm not so concerned about the term FOSS4G being re-used, as long as it is clear whether or not it is the annual "OSGeo Hosted" event.  For example, "FOSS4G .NET Event" vs. "FOSS4G 2011" are worlds apart in both scope and title.  That said, it might be simplest to just have "OSGeo X" events for those looking to start regional/topical events, thereby not bothering with any issues around FOSS4G as a trademark for the main event.

But then again, maybe we can develop a guideline that encourages organisers to call their mini events "FOSS4G XYZ Event" as opposed to just FOSS4G with a year.

GITA folks might also have some good feedback on this since they run many GITA events and just re-use their name.

Just off the top of my head...

Tyler