[OSGeo-Conf] Re: Selecting a perpetual FOSS4G PCO?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:48:38 EDT 2011

Conference committee,
Jeff, Arnulf and myself have been approached by an international
consortium of Professional Conference Organisors (PCOs), offering to
take over the hosting of FOSS4G around the world for us.

I've <snipped their original email, and my response as I don't have
permission to forward on>.

I believe that we have reached the point with FOSS4G that it would make
sense to have a paid staff role, or a partner organisation, dedicated to
managing the hosting of FOSS4G, this providing continuity of knowledge
about FOSS4G from city to city.
This person/org could also be tasked with supporting the setting up of
local "mini-FOSS4G" conferences, like the German InterGEO event.

This would help reduce the very high learning curve that each LOC faces
when running FOSS4G, and will allow us to set up websites and
infrastructure which is passed on.

I'm open to a number of options regarding the details, but what I think
might work would be:

Role: FOSS4G organisor, answerable to LOC.
Local Organising Committee, answerable to OSGeo board, or Tyler.
Local PCO: Answerable to LOC. Local PCO might be part of an
international group of PCOs.

Key requirement for all PCOs: Apart from privacy issues, all
documentation, processes, budgets, etc are made free via an Open
License. Where financially practical, preference given to Open Source
software systems.

On 11/08/11 18:54, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:  (forwarded with Arnulf's
permission)

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director