[OSGeo-Conf] My Rome questions

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Jul 13 12:30:13 EDT 2011

Il 13/07/2011 18:08, Jeff McKenna ha scritto:

> - the list of LOC members seems very small.  Are you planning on expanding this?

Yes. We will launch a call among the many organizations whose members are associates
of GFOSS.it, and we are quite positive we'll receive positive responses at least from
some Public Administrations, Universities, and companies.

> - can you explain what AM/FM Italy is, and how it relates to OSGeo/FOSS4G?

http://www.amfm.it/ (sorry, in Italian). It is probably the most important (along
with GFOSS.it for the free world) non profit association for GIS in Italy. It is also
very active in the development of INSPIRE EU directive.

> - are you proposing the University of Rome as the venue? Would there be fees involved
> in the use of their facilities, or would that venue be freely available? (no need for
> exact numbers, I just want to know what possible arrangement you are looking at for
> the venue)

We still have to discuss this in detail, according to the provisional budget and the
expected number of participants. However, in Rome there is definitely no shortage of
suitable venues, of any size.

> - do you have any early visions of a theme for the event? (such as education and
> FOSS4G, or bringing decision makers/educators/developers together, etc.)

I think open geodata will be a major theme, as well as FOSS4G in the Public
Administration. But we plan to discuss about this within our GFOSS.it association,
who has a democratic structure.

> Finally, I have been to your wonderful city and it would be an honor to visit it once
> again (I find people in Rome are very friendly...no offense to my friends all
> throughout Italy!).

Glad you enjoyed it - I'm sure it is one of the most pleasant and interesting cities
in the world.

All the best.