[OSGeo-Conf] starting the 2012 RFP process...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 24 18:19:51 EDT 2011

On 11-05-24 04:10 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hi Tyler,
>
> (replying to the Conference Committee)
>
> This was the wording decided by the OSGeo Conference Committee last year, when
> we changed the selection process. Those specific regions were mentioned that
> way, so I am simply following what the committee decided. As I mentioned in the
> RFP draft and in that email, the regional movement decided was 2011 North
> America, 2012 Asia/Pacific, and 2013 Europe. This would mean obviously that for
> 2012 we would ask for letters of intent from the Asia/Pacific region, and if
> none are received (or don't receive sufficient backing from the committee
> members), then we would ask for your "anywhere else".
>
> With such a tight timeline for releasing the RFP now, I'm hoping to avoid any
> huge discussions on changing the whole process (like we did last year)...but
> comments are welcome...so I'm sharing this with the whole conference committee
> to hear.
>
> I personally would love to see FOSS4G in South America!
> On 11-05-24 4:51 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>> Hi Jeff, is South America not an option? I thought the rotation was North
>> America, Europe and then "anywhere else" - but I see your wording it wasn't
>> like that. Just checking if that was deliberate or not, since some Brazilians
>> were asking on the discuss list not long ago.

Jeff,

It was also my understanding that 2012 would be "anywhere other than
north america or europe" and I feel that this is the time to amend the
RFP for 2012 to indicate this.  I don't think this needs to be a very
long discussion.  If need be we could put it to a vote and close a
motion within two business days. Alternatively, if there are no objections
we could just proceed.

Does anyone object to amending the RFP to indicate that this year we
prefer anywhere other than Europe or North America (as opposed to the
current Asia/Pacific)?

Best regards,