[OSGeo-Conf] Motion Regarding FOSS4G-CEE Name

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 17:53:05 EDT 2011

As somebody noted (Volker?)

it is matter of scale. We (current "CEE" temporary organization
committee) did not have ambitions to organize the event on European
level. Thought, conference primary language will be English and
everybody is welcomed, we want to focus on Central and East Europe
topics (which of course do have a lot in common with "pan european"
topics).

I know, there are already very active local groups in Portugal, Spain,
Germany, Italy and other countries. It does not make IMHO sense to try
to overrule all those local events, also because of local language (as
somebody else already noted - would you imagine *all* the GFOSS.it
attendees really enjoying english-speaking conference?).

We hope, that CEE region is big enough to attract people, dealing with
common issues,  and small enough, so that it will not bid against
FOSS4G-Global, which could IMHO be the case with FOSS4G-Europe.

Of course, if it will grow and extend behind CEE borders, there is as
much as nothing, we can do about it. But for now it is not the plan.
There is only one FOSS4G, and can not be replaced by anything local.

(hope to answer also at your second mail)

Jachym