[OSGeo-Conf] Motion Regarding FOSS4G-CEE Name

Mauricio Miranda mmiranda at osgeo.org
Sun Oct 9 10:17:55 EDT 2011

On Oct 8, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Venka wrote:

> On 2011/10/08 18:38, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Cameron Shorter
>> <cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com>  wrote:
>>> Daniel, well reasoned. You have convinced me to switch my vote to +1.
>>
>> I fully agree +1
>
> +1 as always

Definitively +1

We have been using FOSS4G as a conference name but that's probably wrong, because it's not just a conf, it's a concept.

So, probably the idea of change the name for the main conference to "FOSS4G World Conference" makes a lot of sense.

That opens a space for local conferences to use the FOSS4G brand to power up the concept, which is the real goal we should have.

A conference is a great place/moment to change how the people think about software and is there where we must try to install the FOSS4G concept in the people.

We are planning a Latin-American conference in Buenos Aires for the next year and the name is something we haven't defined yet.

We have though in many option but I guess the best one is: "Conferencia Latinoamericana de FOSS4G"

I mean, it's simple, direct and fully understandable, it's a conference related to FOSS4G for latinoamerican people.

The detail that FOSS4G is an acronym for english words it's not really important if we use it as a brand/concept in any language.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!