[OSGeo-Conf] Conference sponsorship in a muilti-FOSS4G world

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Oct 10 11:07:29 EDT 2011

Actually, no, if you look back through the sponsorship docket the only
consistent high level sponsor that has been location independent has
been Google.

In terms of revenues, measuring by both sponsorship dollars and by
attendance figures, foss4g has been a moving regional+ conference, not
an international conference. Most of the sponsorship and attendance
for any particular iteration has come from the region it is landing
in.

Rather than figure out what level of suppression of North American
activity will keep this situation in place, why not look at either (a)
redefining it, as Arnulf has taken a stab at or (b) revisiting the
location policy which moves it out of the high attendance regions
periodically.

P.