[OSGeo-Conf] No single, global FOSS4G conference in 2012

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Tue Oct 11 12:49:39 EDT 2011

Hi Arnulf,

No contentious propositions in this email, eh :) ?!

I would just point out that there is no specific plan for a FOSS4G North
America yet, in 2012 or any other year. There is strong interest in having
one I think, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. It's a lot of
work to put on as I know too well :), so that's a big commitment for someone
to sign up to.

And you are the first one to propose, as far as I've seen, that Beijing
should not be the primary worldwide event for 2012. I think it still should
be, regardless of whether there is a North American event or not.

As we've seen, there are differing views on the impact a North American
event would have on the Beijing event. I still don't think it would be that
great as I said in my earlier email, but others differ, and obviously none
of us can really know for sure. But based both on history and our survey, I
wouldn't expect more than 50 or so North Americans to make it to Beijing
regardless, and I think most of those people would still go even if there
was a North American event (I aim to go in either scenario, as do several
others I've talked to).

However, from our survey, there are probably 500 or so North Americans who
would attend a North American event if there was one, but who would
definitely not make it to China, which is the primary argument for having a
North American event, to serve the clear demand for a FOSS4G event for those
who aren't able to easily justify traveling abroad for it (which is the case
for most people).

Cheers,
    Peter.