[OSGeo-Conf] Nominating Peter Batty as Conference Committe Member

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 11 12:55:31 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:

> On 07.10.2011 18:27, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:
>> I nominate Peter Batty as a member of the Conference Committee.
>>
>> This also implies a +1 once somebody else seconds this nomination.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Arnulf.
>
> With 9 out of 14 votes I assume that the motion passes. Welcome Peter.
>
> I am cleaning up things and while doing this went through our bylaws [1]
> where it says how appointing new members works exactly :
> "The members of each existing Project Steering Committee shall be
> appointed by the Board of Directors or appointed by the chairperson of
> the Project Steering Committee as authorized by the Board of Directors."
>
> IIRC this committee has the chair appoint new members. Just to stay
> formally correct...

Arnulf,

It might be worth revisiting the bylaws, but in practice the document
at:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Committee_Guidelines

was setup to govern the default behavior of OSGeo committees
*other* than project steering committees with the assumption that
project steering committes establish their own consensus roles as
part of the governance documents.

If there are concerns about the committee guidelines I would
suggest the board review them.  Normally they would apply to
committees including this one, Incubation, Public Geodata,
WebCom, SAC, and Marketting.

The Bylaws are unfortunately quite a bit harder to revise, and
I am not convinced it was a good thing for them to include any
mention of PSCs.

cc:ing to board at osgeo.org for awareness since the board
sets out the broad working rules for committees.

Best regards,