[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: Preliminary Survey Results

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Sep 24 02:45:47 EDT 2011

Il giorno gio, 22/09/2011 alle 19.01 -0600, Peter Batty ha scritto:

> A few things I'd highlight:

> 67% of attendees were at their first FOSS4G
> 46% answered 5 to the question how heavily do you currently use
> geospatial open source, remainder split fairly evenly between 1-4.
> 61% were software developers as main job function, 18% end users, 20%
> managers

Hi Pete.
Your stats confirm a point that makes me unhappy since long:
- many FOSS4G participants are GFOSS devs
- OSGeo gets much of its resources from FOSS4G
- this means OSGeo is actually drawing resources from developers
- I would prefer an organization that helps developers, getting
resources from what they are (i.e. the business side of our world).
All the best.