[OSGeo-Conf] Intergeo Update

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 15:55:26 EDT 2011

I think, most of us do have similar point of view. But what I'm missing
here (and it was maybe not needed until now), is the clear topic (focus)
of FOSS4G, and possible gap (niche) for local FOSS4G events.

This year, several user communities have declared, they want to do their
local FOSS4G-events. Beside this, there are already existing once, most
of them with longer tradition, than the global FOSS4G (Spanish FOSS4G,
GFOSS (it), FOSSGIS (Ger), Japan FOSS4G, ...).

 From what I know in Europe, local meetings are really more
business-oriented, then the global FOSS4G. This also means, that OSGeo
is getting their budget full mainly through developers (attendees of
global FOSS4G) - which is strange to me.

So, if we, the FOSS4G Crowd, would make clear statements about the focus
of each event ("Global FOSS4G *should* be more developer oriented", and
for example "German FOSS4G is more business oriented"), it would help
the attendees to choose the event they want to go to.

As Volker already noticed, one would hardly come to China for FOSS4G, if
all developers would meet somewhere in US next year. But if we all would
know, that China is *the* developers meeting point and anything in US is
more about "developers meets business", than the decision would not be
so clear.

I'm not expecting, that anybody would draw thick line between developers
and business meetings. But clear statement about the main focus of the
event, would help to cover the current market sources (time).

So my suggestion: "Global FOSS4G" is *the* developers meeting
(developers meet developers). Local events are more user- and
business-oriented (developers meet business, developers meet users). (Of
course, not excluding local code-sprints and other events (e.g. Bolsena
Code Sprint).

Jachym