[OSGeo-Conf] 2012 Status?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Sat Apr 7 17:06:07 EDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a message to the LOC: I think the collective advice from prior FOSS4G
> event organisors like myself is that FOSS4G 2012 needs to step up and make
> some changes very soon if they are to attract an international audience.

Indeed, people need to be able to plan for this kind of travel many
months in advance. The LOC may indeed be able to whip up an excellent
conference in four months, but most international attendees won't be
able to whip up travel approval in that time for an event that has no
program, no listed speakers, no agenda and no sponsors.

I've been surprised at the number of folks from the US who aren't even
very far from DC who have told me they can't attend the NA conference
this year because the short timeline (announced in January for April)
meant they couldn't get travel approvals.

P.